Careers & Volunteers
OPEN JOB POSITION:
REGIONAL DIRECTOR APPLY NOW!
Description: This is an exciting leadership opportunity for a seasoned, dynamic, nonprofit professional who is passionate about building the capacity of students, families, and communities and creating opportunities for students to develop the academic and social emotional skills that will enable them to thrive. The full-time Regional Director will lead Horizons New York City’s continued growth and success through effective partnerships with a variety of stakeholders, including Horizons NYC students and families, site directors and program staff, a regional board of directors, donors, host schools’ administrative leadership, NYC Department of Education, community partners, and Horizons National. As the Regional Director works closely with Horizons National to cultivate and launch new Horizons programs across the city, they will be responsible for fundraising, marketing, reporting, building a regional staffing structure, and growing and supporting the regional board of directors to ensure the quality and impact of all Horizons programming in New York City.
- Partner with the Horizons NYC Board to establish and meet short-term goals, set the future direction of the program, and ensure program success as guided by the HNYC strategic plan.
- Build strategic relationships with external partners (including schools and universities, community-based organizations, and NYC Department of Education).
- Nurture relationships with internal partners (including Horizons affiliate sites within New York City, site directors, program staff, and Horizons National).
- Supervise part-time Horizons NYC Program Assistant as well as regional site directors and program directors for sites under the Horizons NYC 501(c)(3).
- Represent Horizons NYC at relevant conferences and events, including the annual Horizons National Conference.
- Create an organizational culture that balances a results orientation with fun and vibrancy, cultivating a positive and collaborative community among members of a remote team.
Finance & Development
- Develop and implement a strong and sustainable fundraising strategy that will broaden financial
support and create a thriving future for HNYC, with support and consultation from the board.
- Identify and solicit new and diverse funding sources, including government grants; build and
maintain strong relationships with institutional and corporate funders, as well as individual
donors; and prepare grant requests and all program and financial reporting.
- Create and manage an annual budget of approximately $1.5 million and collaborate with
accountant on annual organization audit process.
- Plan and oversee special fundraising and partner cultivation events in collaboration with the
board, including an annual Horizons Gala and Horizons Giving Day.
- Maintain financial systems for HNYC, including payroll, budgeting, and forecasting, in partnership
with the Board Treasurer, accountant, and bookkeeper.
Program Administration and Outreach
- Work with Horizons National to identify additional institutional partners for new Horizons NYC programs and pilots.
- Oversee hiring of site directors for all Horizons NYC affiliates and support their successful and effective implementation of programming, including: o Strong student and staff recruitment and retention o Horizons National standards attainment and state licensing compliance o Cross-site programmatic collaboration as appropriate
- Execute formal agreements and serve as a liaison between Horizons National New York City, program host institutions, and Horizons National.
- Advocate for Horizons and the students, families, and communities it serves by educating the broader community on issues impacting local youth.
- Manage and oversee the Horizons Brooklyn program, housed under the Horizons NYC umbrella.
- Coordinate all public relations and communications activities including media relations and community outreach, to further the mission and reach of Horizons NYC.
- A strong commitment to educational equity and partnership building, and a passionate belief in the value of education as an essential tool to help students reach their full potential.
- At least five years of nonprofit leadership experience with responsibility for fundraising, programs, finance, operations, and board management.
- Knowledge of New York City, its educational and political climate, and its philanthropic landscape.
- Demonstrated success with all aspects of fundraising, including grant writing, donor cultivation, and event planning.
- Experience leading strategic planning, organizational development, and performance management processes.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks, Mailchimp, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office Suite; experience with Salesforce and Gusto also helpful but not required.
- Experience with financial management, including managing annual budget and cash flow, yearly audit process, and tracking of organizational receipts and financial documents.
- Experience leading and inspiring a growing and highly effective team.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and a collaborative orientation that leads to sustainable and mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Exceptional ability to communicate verbally and in writing with diverse stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training and experience required; advanced degree preferred.
Please see full job description here.
We welcome volunteers for many different positions! During the summer program, these include classroom assistants, after-school classroom assistants, events, tutoring, and so much more! Please see the specific program site page you are interested in volunteering with for details. You must be 16 years or older to volunteer.