Statement of Equity & Inclusion
Horizons New York City and our affiliate program sites celebrate equity, diversity, and inclusiveness. We regard these principles as crucial to creating enriching learning environments and cultivating healthy communities.
HNYC is strengthened by the voices, knowledge, experiences, and backgrounds of our community. HNYC firmly believes systems that perpetuate or tolerate systemic injustices have devastating effects on our society, and must be transformed. It is crucial that our programs include diverse candidates, employees, leaders, and partners to fully represent the communities we serve. HNYC acknowledges that fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion is an active process that requires continuous commitment to embrace, uplift, and represent our communities.
To fulfill these core values, we are committed to:
- Actively building a community whose members have diverse cultures, backgrounds, and life experiences
- Implementing project-based learning curriculum to connect our students with the world around them in a constructive and culturally-relevant way
- Fostering a culture of open-mindedness, kindness, compassion, and inclusiveness
- Reaching beyond our programs to establish mutually beneficial relationships with individual and institutional partners who share common goals and interests
- Creating a safe environment for constructive discourse related to diversity, equity and inclusion to occur
- Challenging and dismantling systemic racism and oppression
- The inclusion of all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, ability, national origin, educational or professional status, social economic class, or religion
Maintaining these actions ultimately ensures all children have opportunities to thrive and learn. Now and always, we stand with our entire Horizons community. We stand with our students and families. We stand with our staff and volunteers. We are united in our efforts to create an equitable world for our young people and our future.